Free Day of Yoga Austin is an organization dedicated to providing the gift of yoga to the community.
We help to educate our community about the health and wellness benefits of yoga through interactive, participatory and educational events in the Austin area. We offer our annual events at no charge to those attending.
Free Day of Yoga was created in 1998 by Donna Belk; Charles MacInerney, Ellen Smith, Sharon Moon, and a host of wonderful volunteers. The concept has blossomed into an event with thousands of participants each year. Free Day of Yoga was created in 1998 by Donna Belk; Charles MacInerney, Ellen Smith, Sharon Moon, and a host of wonderful volunteers. The concept has blossomed into an event with thousands of participants each year. In 2022, the organizers decided to retire and passed on the continuation of the legacy to local gym and spa Castle Hill Fitness.
This event would not be possible without the generosity of the Austin Yoga Teachers and the enthusiasm of Austin yogis and yoginis in our town.
THINGS TO KNOW
- Arrive early. Classes are well attended!
- Wear comfortable clothes so you can move easily.
- Have a stomach that is neither too full nor too empty.
- Most yoga classes are taught barefoot.
- Check the studio offerings to determine what you need to bring. Some studios do not provide mats, so you may need to bring your own, and a water bottle.
- Do the best you can in class and don’t overdo it. If it hurts, or you’re “really gettin’ a good burn” you may be taking it too far.
- Always, always go at your own pace and respect the limits of your body.
Are you a studio or instructor who is interested in participating in Free Day of Yoga? Reach out to get involved and be listed on our website!
In order to teach at Waterloo Greenway, a small sponsorship fee will be requested:
For Studios: $75
For Individual Instructors: $35
In your message, please include whether you’d like to teach at Waterloo Greenway, and/or offer classes in your own studio.